Monday, 21 January 2008

Some progress, further distress, and a resolution?

Ok, well all three pieces have been distressed much further by fraying, burning back the edges with a heat tool and introducing some holes through the felt:

Picture 1 - The top fabric has been pruned backed to show much more of the layers beneath (25cm x 25cm)

Picture 2 the straight edges have been cut and burnt back and some minor holes introduced (21 x 21cm)

Picture 3 Likewise cut and burnt back to reduce the piece (19 x 19 cm)

When laid out on the proposed backing fabric it looks out of balance to me.

So I have tried adding extra sheer fabric behind the second and third pieces, although the amount gets less for each piece. See picture 5 below:

However, are the sheer fabrics behind too straight and is there now too much going on? Do I need to remove some of the backing fabrics to lighten it up a bit?

Sunday, 20 January 2008

A new work room

I have finally completed my new work room. This has been a huge undertaking, involving putting boxes and boxes of books and stuff into storage, then decorating three bedrooms and shifting the contents of one to the other so that all three are swapped around. Then every single heavy box had to be taken back out of storage and unpacked and sorted. The decorating was predictably not simple and straightforward. Instead of the walls just needing a quick wipe down and a splash of paint, each wall had to be laboriously stripped with paint stripper and then washed down before any painting could begin.

However now I have a dedicated work room (ok its still a spare bedroom). You will get some idea from these pictures. The other exciting change is that I now have a shorter working week which gives me a day in the week I can dedicate to getting on with the course!! YEY!!