Sunday, 16 May 2010

Buttons and beads

I decided not to tarry too long on the world of tassel making. I cracked on and made some buttons:

102_3908

I was not really drawn to Dorset buttons, but I made one just to show willing. I don’t think I will make any more.

102_3909

Rolling up bits of felt and suede was more satisfying though. I had forgotten just how long it takes to fray a piece of material – I like the effect but is it really worth all the time it takes? Hmmm … not sure. The diamond shape made from card and covered with material needs to be done a bit differently next time to avoid the obvious points created from the way the material was folded over. Also, if I wrap a wooden disk in the future I will do a couple of things differently. First I think I would either paint the disk or wrap it in fabric of the same colour. It is easy to accidentally move part of the ribbon out of place and then you are left with an obvious gap. Secondly maybe I would possibly go round twice – not sure whether that would be better not, perhaps not on second thoughts. Other than that I think they worked out quite well.

Then I spent a lot of time and got a lot of pleasure out of working on the bead sampler. I could have kept going for ages longer but decided it might be prudent to stop. The picture below gives an overview of the whole thing:

102_3910

Here are close ups:

102_3913

Picture one above: There are some fairly standard squares of seed beads and bugle beads, seed beads dotted randomly and sequins topped with round beads. The shiny tubes mid right are sections of straws. I am fond of the dark pink bugle beads topped with green seed beads to the bottom left – you can’t quit tell it from this angle but they are standing up and move as the cloth moves.

102_3914

Picture two above: I rather like the piles of buttons as they move and change position as they are only secured through one hole. The only thing I would change is I would replace the small beads I have used to top them off with much bigger ones.

102_3915

Picture three above: I hate the pink straws and green ‘pearls’ in the bottom right! However, I do like the horizontal bugle beads inside green straws in the top right. I also really like the effect of the bottom left and mid left ‘heaps’. The final picture below shows them much more effectively. The bugle beads are piled up like a heap of firewood.

102_3916

Picture four above: There are some straws end on, and to their left some buttons with strings of beads extruding out.

 102_3927

6 comments:

Stephanie M said...

Your bead sampler looks fabulous, you've been very creative with how you've combined the beads, and I love the colours.

Tineke said...

I love your sampler! I also love the square with the ribbons - looks really good.

I did C&G certificate and finished in 2007. I remeber that I enjoyed the module you are working on a lot. I had chosen the same colours and I still like my sampler.

Keep up the good work!
Tineke

Maggie said...

Beautiful clusters of beads...in the last photo they look good enough to eat!!

Max the Lobster said...

it looks like you really enjoyed that! love the colours too.

Anne B said...

Full of fresh ideas - lovely, fun samples. I like the use of wrapped ribbon. Never thought of that. Well done.

Maggie said...

Hi Kat, picked up your message, I have found a copy on Amazon for only a few pounds so have ordered it but a BiG thank-you for the offer. Good to see you again this year, look forward to your blogs!